Wednesday, January 15, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Colonel G. W. Custis Lee, March 31, 1863

HEADQUARTERS ARMY NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
MARCH 31, 1863.

MY DEAR CUSTIS:

I send you a note which I have lately received from Mr. Crockford. I have written to him to request that Harrison be sent to Mr. Eacho. Will you have his free papers given him?

I see that the Va. Central R. R. is offering $40 a month and board. I would recommend he engage with them, or on some other work at once. Can you get the proper evidence of Reuben's death and from what cause?

He was of such a turbulent disposition that I have feared he may have caused it. I hope you may have been able to recover Parks. As regards Leanthe and Jim, I presume they had better remain with Mrs. D. this year, and at the end of it devote their earnings to their own benefit. But what can be done with poor little Jim? It would be cruel to turn him out on the world. He could not take care of himself.

He had better be bound out to some one, until he can be got to his grandfather's. His father is unknown, and his mother dead or in unknown parts. I heard from poor little Rob the other day. He was well. Our bad weather continues. The ground this morning was covered with an inch or two of snow. An easterly rain is now prevailing, which will doubtless carry it all off, leaving us in a delightful slush of mud. I have no news. We have only to suffer. Cannot move, and the enemy will not.

Give much love to your mother and Agnes. I hope you are all well. I am in very indifferent health. But hope I shall improve. I am weak, feverish, and altogether good for nothing, at the very time I require all my strength.

Your affectionate father,
R. E. LEE.
G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 286-7

No comments: