Wednesday, January 22, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to the President of the Richmond, Virginia City Council, about October 28, 1863

I assure you, sir, that no want of appreciation of the honor conferred upon me by this resolution, or insensibility to the kind feeling that prompted it, induces me to ask, as I most respectfully do, that no further proceedings be taken with reference to the subject. The house is not necessary for the use of my family, and my own duties will prevent my residence in Richmond. I shall therefore be compelled to decline the generous offer, and trust that whatever means the City Council may have to spare for this purpose may be devoted to the relief of the families of our soldiers in the field, who are more in need of assistance and more deserving of it than myself.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 290-1

No comments: