Friday, February 7, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Captain Robert E. Lee Jr. January 17, 1864

CAMP ORANGE COURT HOUSE,
January 17, 1864.

I enclose a letter for you which has been sent to my care. I hope you are well and all around you. Tell Fitz I grieve over the hardships and sufferings of his men in their late expedition. I would have preferred his waiting for more favorable weather. He accomplished much under the circumstances, but would have done more in better weather. I am afraid he was anxious to get back to the ball. This is a bad time for such things. We have too grave subjects on hand to engage in such trivial amusements. I would rather his officers should entertain themselves in fattening their horses, healing their men, and recruiting their regiments. There are too many Lees on the committee. I like them all to be present at battles, but can excuse them at balls. But the saying is: “Children will be children!” I think he had better move his camp farther from Charlottesville, and perhaps he will get more work and less play. He and I are too old for such assemblies. I want him to write me how his men are, his horses, and what I can do to fill up his ranks.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 299-300; Thomas Nelson Page, Robert E. Lee: Man and Soldier, p. 472-3

No comments: