Thursday, February 27, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Colonel L. B. Northrop, January 5, 1864

HEADQUARTERS ARMY NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
5th January, 1864.
COL. L. B. NORTHROP,
Commissary-General, Richmond, Va.

GENERAL: Your letter of the 7th ult. reached here during my absence in Richmond.

I regret very much to learn that the supply of beef for the army is so nearly exhausted. . . .  No beef has been issued to the cavalry corps by the chief commissary, that I am aware of, for eighteen months. During that time it has supplied itself, and has now, I understand, sufficient to last until the middle of February.

I cannot adopt your suggestion to employ the organization of your bureau to impress provisions. Neither the law nor regulations of the War Department, in my opinion, give me that power. I have the honor to be, with great respect, your obedient servant,

R. E. LEE,
General.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 320

No comments: