Sunday, February 2, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Margaret Stuart, December 25, 1863

ORANGE, 25th December, 1863.

MY DEAR COUS1N MARGARET:

I take advantage of a few quiet moments this holy morning to write to you, for the thought of you always brings me pleasure and adds to my causes for gratitude to our merciful God for all the blessings bestowed upon me. I have recently returned from Richmond, where I thought much of you and wished for your presence that afforded so much pleasure to my former visit. I caught glimpses of sweet Carrie, but she was so surrounded by her little beaux that little could be got from her. But there was one tall one with her, a signal man of that voracious family of Randolphs, whom I threatened with Castle Thunder. I did not see her look at Rob once. But you know he is to take her home on certain conditions. I hope your mother has given her consent and that the cakes are baking. I also saw happy Mrs. Ada. Her face was luminous with content and she looked as if she thought there was but one person in the world. Mrs. Randolph was as handsome as ever, and she was as kind and sweet as she is beautiful. Nothing more can be said for her. Mr. R. is much better, looks indeed quite well. But I was grieved at the condition in which I found your poor Cousin Mary. She is now a great sufferer. Cannot walk at all, can scarcely move, but Mildred has returned and I hope now she will be more comfortable. She is going to move to my old quarters next to Mrs. Randolph. Go down and help disperse the club. The members are all aghast. Custis says he cannot be married now till six months after the ratification of peace — the day on which all the public dues are payable. So you will have to visit Maggie. I left Richmond with a sad heart. Charlotte, who was so well on my arrival, looking like herself again, so cheerful, affectionate and sweet, was taken sick two or three days before my departure and completely prostrated. She seemed exceedingly weak, though somewhat relieved the night before I left. The change between my arrival and departure was so sudden and unexpected to me, that I am filled with sadness, yet can do nothing. I pray she may be relieved. You must give a great deal of love to your father and mother for me. May every happiness attend you also and may a kind God in His infinite mercy before the return of the anniversary of this blessed day, give us our independence and restore us to peace and happiness.

Truly and aff'y, your cousin,
R. E. LEE.
MISS MARGARET STUART.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 296

No comments: