Tuesday, February 11, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Margaret Stuart, March 29, 1864

CAMP, ORANGE CO., 29th March, 1864.

I take advantage, dear Cousin Margaret, of the opportunity offered by the accompanying letter to acknowledge the receipt tonight of yours of the 28th. The superscription of this missent epistle reminds me strongly of the chirography of Gen. Edward Johnson. The suspicions of the postmasters at least have been excited from its being turned out of its way to me. Its arrival with your note is somewhat of a suggestive coincidence. I think I ought to send it to your mother. But I feel I can trust you, and that you will not forget your promise. I hope you are not beginning to think of leaving Richmond yet. Remain until warm weather. I shall have no hope of seeing you after you cross the Rappahannock. I know what a comfort you will be to your poor Cousin Mary. You will relieve her of her pains and I trust hasten her relief from her great affliction. Then you ought to come and see me. The indications at present are that we shall have a hard struggle. General Grant is with the Army of Potomac. All the officers' wives are sick and have been sent to Washington. No ingress or egress from the lines are now permitted, nor are papers allowed to come out. They claim to be assembling a large force. You must give us your sweet prayers, for you always have the love of,

Yours affectionately,
R. E. LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 301

No comments: