Thursday, February 6, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Mary Custis Lee, March 18, 1864

March 18, 1864

I arrived safely yesterday. There were sixty-seven pairs of socks in the bag I brought up instead of sixty-four, as you supposed, and I found here three dozen pairs of beautiful white-yarn socks, sent over by our kind cousin Julia and sweet little Carrie, making one hundred and three pairs, all of which I sent to the Stonewall brigade. One dozen of the Stuart socks had double heels. Can you not teach Mildred1 that stitch? They sent me also some hams, which I had rather they had eaten. I pray that you may be preserved and relieved from all your troubles, and that we may all be again united here on earth and forever in heaven.
__________

1 His daughter.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 298-9

No comments: