Saturday, February 22, 2014

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, September 12, 1861

HEADQUARTERS CAMP DENNISON,
Sept. 12, 1861.

As you will have seen in the papers “I have gone and done it.” Now keep a stiff upper lip and sustain and cheer me all you can, and by being cheerful yourself keep me in good spirits. I have an arduous and responsible duty to perform, but by God's help hope to get through with honor to myself. Have been full of business and should have written to you yesterday, my first day in camp, which was wet and muddy enough, I assure you. We shall be here for some weeks. It will take at least four weeks I think to organize my regiment.
. . . . . . . . . .

Direct Lieut.-Col. Thos. Kilby Smith, Commanding 54th Regt., Camp Dennison. The weather to-day is very fine, the camp drying up very fast.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 174

No comments: