Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, October 6, 1861

HEADQUARTERS 54TH REGT., O. V. U. S A.,
CAMP DENNISON, OHIO, October 6, 1861.

I do not know, and can scarcely form a conjecture, as to what service my command will be in or as to where I shall be ordered when the regiment is ready for the field. I am now waiting for an equipment and arms. Shall very soon have men enough and am anxious for marching orders to any point away from Camp Dennison. I have been made commandant of the post and have now under my command, not only my own regiment but four others, with artillerists, besides the control of the post hospital, and no small care in itself, as you will imagine when I tell you we had two deaths last night, and have buried twenty-five men since I have been here. If I only had subordinate officers upon whom I could rely these responsibilities would only stimulate me to a pleasant excitement. Indeed I feel always a pleasurable thrill when real earnest work is before me — work that is befitting a man. I have reason to believe that I am popular with the command, that for the most part my men all like me; which is a great point gained in the army. Yet I have been pressed with many and grave obstacles, wholly unforeseen and unprovided for, that perhaps hereafter I shall have an opportunity to explain to you. You may be surprised not to see my name or my regiment mentioned in what is called the Military Column of the newspapers. I have sedulously from the first endeavored to keep away from stupid newspaper puffery or notice. Time, and my own merits, if I have any, will show whether I have judgment and military skill enough to organize, prepare, and drill a regiment for the field and make it serviceable after I get the men into active service, and meanwhile it is worse than absurd to attempt by monied influences or otherwise the manufacture of a fictitious fame.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 175+6

No comments: