Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Salmon Brown to Owen Brown Sr., June 18, 1829

ST. LOUIS, June 18, 1829.

HONORED FATHER, — Having ascended the river to this place, and being under the necessity of returning again to Natchez in order to close some unfinished business, I write to advise you of my intended movements. By the ordinary course of steamboat navigation I shall reach there (Natchez) in the course of five or six days, and my stay in that region will be as short as possible. It is my intention afterwards to proceed by the interior of Alabama to Florida, and thence through Georgia and the Carolinas to the North. I cannot at this time name with certainty any place where letters directed to my address would be received, though Tallahassee in Florida would seem to be the most eligible point; at all events, I hope you will write to me there. I left New Orleans without receiving any letters from you, which was a great disappointment. I however made arrangements by which I shall still get them, if any come on to that post-office. I have enjoyed good health and thus far a reasonable share of prosperity in the prosecution of my business, though delays have been more frequent than I anticipated, and of longer duration, which will be the means of detaining me all summer in the Southern country. I beg you will not permit yourself to be uneasy on account of my health. I shall avoid the low country on the sea-coast, and by confining myself to the high ground of the interior, I apprehend very little danger. Finally, go where I may, I am in the hands of the same kind Providence that has heretofore guided me safely through an infinity of perils. I have been preserved, no doubt, for some wise purpose. I hope it may be to accomplish some great good in the world; if not, why should I desire to live?

I am still occupied, heart and soul, with the scheme I have intimated to you before. It is the theme of my constant meditations, night and day; and I am devoting all my leisure moments for its accomplishment. That the design is a good and laudable one, I have no doubt. This gives me confidence to expect great success.1 I cannot write more at this moment, but if I am prospered, you shall hear from me frequently. Adieu.

Your affectionate son,
SALMON BROWN.
__________

1 It does not appear what this "landable design" was, but it must have been, in part at least, of a public nature. At this time Salmon Brown was twenty-seven years old. He was the brother next in age to John, and was at school with him for a time in Connecticut.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 28-9

No comments: