Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Colonel Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, June 28, 1861

BERKELEY COUNTY, June 28th.

. . . I am bivouacking. I sleep out of doors without any cover except my bedding, but have not felt any inconvenience from it that I am aware of in the way of impaired health. Last evening, opposite Williamsport, one of our men was shot in the abdomen by the enemy, but he is still living, and I trust will recover. I am inclined to think it was done by a Virginian rather than a Northerner. There is a great deal of disloyalty in this county, although it has diminished. Mr. Edwin Lee, son-in-law of General Pendleton, is my aid, and Sandy Pendleton is my ordnance officer and acting adjutant-general. Last night the news came, after I had retired, that the enemy had packed their wagons with baggage, thus indicating a move in some direction. I didn't trouble my command, but merely gave such orders as were necessary to prevent their approach without giving me timely notice; but, in consequence, I had my rest disturbed, and am feeling the effects of it to-day. Yesterday Lieutenant Bowman, of the Eighth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, who was captured some time since opposite Williamsport by Colonel J. E. B. Stuart, of the cavalry, and now in Richmond on his parole of honor, sent a letter via here to Williamsport which required us to send a flag of truce. All went off well.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 163-4

No comments: