Sunday, March 16, 2014

Brigadier General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, July 16, 1861

WINCHESTER, July I6th.

. . . Last evening the enemy encamped at Bunker Hill, about ten miles from us, and this morning we would have given them a warm reception had they advanced, but we have heard nothing respecting their movements to-day. The news from the Northwest is unfavorable, as you have probably seen in the papers, but we must not be discouraged. God will, I am well satisfied, in His own good time and way, give us the victory. . . . In reply to your queries, I am sleeping on the floor of a good room, but I have been sleeping out in camp several weeks, and generally found that it agreed with me well, except when it rained, and even then it was but slightly objectionable. I find that sleeping in the open air, with no covering but my blankets and the blue sky for a canopy, is more refreshing than sleeping in a room. My table is rather poor, but usually I get corn-bread. All things considered, however, I am doing well. . . . As to writing so as to mail letters which would travel on Sunday, when it can be avoided, I have never had occasion, after years of experience, to regret our system. Although sister I––– gets letters from her husband every day, is she any happier than my esposita? Look how our kind Heavenly Father has prospered us! I feel well assured that in following our rule, which is Biblical, I am in the path of duty, and that no evil can come nigh me. All things work together for my good. But when my sweet one writes, let the letters be long, and your esposo hopes to send you full ones in return; and when the wars and troubles are all over, I trust that, through divine mercy, we shall have many happy days together.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 168-9

No comments: