Monday, March 10, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, March 21, 1862

HEADQUARTERS 54TH REGIMENT O. V. U. S. A.,
2D BRIGADE, 1ST DIV., TENNESSEE EXPEDITION,
ENCAMPED NEAR PITTSBURGH, TENN., March 21, 1862.

You will have been made very anxious about me by the one or two letters I regretted writing immediately after they were sent; but we had every hope of an engagement with the enemy, every reason to expect it would come off within a few hours, and in the excitement of the moment I deemed it my duty to write you just then. But the enemy retires as we advance, and up to this time refuse to give us a battle. Since writing last we have encamped and marched in Alabama and Mississippi, and are now encamped within a few miles of Pittsburgh, a point on the Tennessee River, above Savannah. Our camp is high, and I hope will prove healthy. The First Division, under General Sherman, has the advance, and the Second Brigade has the advance of the Division. I am second in command in the brigade, and therefore next to the first regiment in the whole army. The army will doubtless be from one hundred thousand to one hundred and fifty thousand strong, so that I have great reason to be satisfied. I have reason to believe that the 54th is well thought of.

The service of my regiment has been very active, though we have had no general engagement, marching, changing camp often, with scout and picket duty, has kept them constantly on the “qui vive.”  I find the life of a soldier full of excitement, and to me perfectly fascinating. My mind and body are constantly at work. I hope good will result to the country from the efforts we are now making, but every one here is opposed to us. The people almost without exception are “secesh.” I have taken a great many prisoners, some of them men of wealth, who do not hesitate to declare their traitorous feelings. An army of occupation will give us the control of trade, however, and restore to the Northwest the commerce of the Mississippi.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 190-1

No comments: