Saturday, March 15, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, April 11, 1862

HEADQUARTERS 54TH REGIMENT O. V. INF.,
CAMP SHILOH, TENNESSEE, April 11, 1862.
MY DEAR WIFE:

You will have learned by the papers long before this letter reaches you that we have had a splendid engagement, or, I should say, a series of engagements running through three days. This is the first time I have an opportunity of writing you to apprise you of my safety, though I have asked some two or three others to do so. I have thus far passed through unscathed, save a slight wound in the arm. My regiment, however, has been badly cut up. My boys fought gallantly, and have shown a dauntless heroism in the fortitude they have displayed, in the endurance of fatigue and hardship they have been subjected to since.

Poor young De Charmes was shot through the lungs early in the action of the first day. Placing his hand upon his wound he said, “Tell my friends I die happy in the service of my country,” the only words he spoke. Captain Rogall,1 the accomplished gentleman I have spoken to you of so often, was mortally wounded. De Charmes was a nephew of Mr. Geo. Graham, who may enquire of you concerning him. His remains were found and buried, but his person had been rifled of his watch, money, and everything valuable. One of my horses was shot three times, and struck in the neck by a piece of shell, but my noble “Bellfounder,” thank God, is safe; he carried me two days and nights, and never flinched from shot or shell. He is the most gallant horse I ever saw. Fatigue, starvation, exposure, nothing daunts his mettle.

Ben Runkle, I am told, who was with one of the regiments that came up with the reserve, was shot through the mouth. A bad wound, I am told. I went into battle with less than four hundred. My regiment had been cut up by sickness and fatigue duty. The reports, as near as I can get them at this time, show two hundred killed, wounded, and missing. After eleven o'clock on the morning of Sunday, the battle began. Colonel Stuart was wounded, and had to retire. The command of the brigade devolved upon me as next senior officer, and I carried the brigade through till three o'clock in the afternoon of Monday, when, by order of General Sherman, I added another brigade to it, and had command of both until the close of the battle.

I thank God who has graciously spared my life. I ask that all my family give Him thanks. My health is good. Write to my dear mother and send her this letter. This is the only sheet of paper I can borrow, and it is hard to write. My best love to all my dear children and to you.
___________

1 This officer, though shot through the body, recovered.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 193-4

No comments: