Sunday, March 2, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, February 17, 1862

ON BOARD STEAMER FANNIE MCBURNIE,
NEAR LOUISVILLE, Feb. 18, 1862.
MY DEAR WIFE:

I was very much disappointed yesterday at being prevented from bidding you and the dear little ones "good-bye." My heart is quite full now, and I hardly dare trust myself to write. My command was ordered by telegraphic despatch. I got the regiment in the cars promptly and in good order, was the last man to embark, and from my anxiety to see that none was left, was left myself. This threw me back one hour and a half. At Cincinnati I was compelled to take command of two steamboats, two being required for the transportation of the regiment. We were compelled in order to preserve discipline to tie one of them to the Kentucky shore, and I was all the afternoon crossing the river in a skiff or yawl between the two boats. I did not dare at any time to leave the command long enough to come to you. You must keep up a brave heart, dear wife, I shall soon come back. Meanwhile, I am sure I have some friends in Cincinnati who will care for you.

I am writing now in a hurry, surrounded by a legion of officers and soldiers. I will write more at length from Paducah. I am seizing now the services of a pilot going ashore. My troops are all in good health and spirits. My own health is good. God bless and preserve you.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 180-1

No comments: