Saturday, March 1, 2014

John Brown to his Children, September 23, 1853

AKRON, OHIO, Sept. 23, 1853.

DEAR CHILDREN, — It is now nearly a month since I began on another-page. Since writing before, father has seemed quite well, but Jason, Ellen, Owen, and Frederick have all had more or less of the ague. They were as well as usual, for them, yesterday. Others of the family are in usual health. I did mean that my letter should go off at once, but I have not become very stout, and have a great deal to look after, and have had many interruptions. We have done part of our sowing, and expect to get all our corn (of which we have a good crop) secure from frost this day. We shall be glad to see you here at the time of our county fair, which is to be on the twelfth and thirteenth of October. I hope that through the infinite grace and mercy of God you may be brought to see the error of your ways, and be in earnest to turn many to righteousness, instead of leading astray; and then you might prove a great blessing to Essex County, or to any place where your lot may fall. I do not feel "estranged from my children," but I cannot flatter them, nor "cry peace when there is no peace." My wife and Oliver expect to set out for Pennsylvania before long, and will probably call on you; but probably not until after the fair. We have a nice lot of chickens fattening for you, when you come.

Your affectionate father,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 51

No comments: