Friday, March 7, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., January 11, 1844

RICHFIELD, Jan. 11, 1844.

DEAR SON JOHN, — Your letter, dated December 21, was received some days ago, but I have purposely delayed till now, in order to comply with your request that I should write about everything. We are all in health; amongst the number is a new sister,1 about three weeks old. I know of no one of our friends that is not in comfortable health. I have just met with father; he was with us a few days since, and all were then well in Hudson. Our flock is well, and we seem to be overtaking our business in the tannery. Divine Providence seems to smile on our works at this time; I hope we shall not prove unthankful for any favor, nor forget the giver. (I have gone to sleep a great many times while writing the above.) The boys and Ruth are trying to improve some this winter, and are effecting a little I think. I have lately entered into a co-partnership with Simon Perkins, Jr., of Akron, with a view to carry on the sheep business extensively. He is to furnish all the feed and shelter for wintering, as a set-off against our taking all the care of the flock. All other expenses we are to share equally, and to divide the profits equally. This arrangement will reduce our cash rents at least $250 yearly, and save our hiring help in haying. We expect to keep the Captain Oviatt farm for pasturing, but my family will go into a very good house belonging to Mr. Perkins, — say from a half a mile to a mile out of Akron. I think this is the most comfortable and the most favorable arrangement of my worldly concerns that I ever had, and calculated to afford us more leisure for improvement, by day and by night, than any other. I do hope that God has enabled us to make it in mercy to us, and not that he should send leanness into our souls. Our time will all be at our own command, except the care of the flock. We have nothing to do with providing for them in the winter excepting harvesting rutabagas and potatoes.

This, I think, will be considered no mean alliance for our family, and I most earnestly hope they will have wisdom given to make the most of it. It is certainly indorsing the poor bankrupt and his family, three of whom were but recently in Akron jail, in a manner quite unexpected, and proves that notwithstanding we have been a company of “Belted Knights,” our industrious and steady endeavors to maintain our integrity and our character have not been wholly overlooked. Mr. Perkins is perfectly advised of our poverty, and the times that have passed over us. Perhaps you may think best to have some connection with this business. I do not know of Any person in Richfield that you would be likely to be fond of hearing from in particular, excepting one at Cleveland; and if hearing from Any person prove to be a very up-stream business, I would advise not to worry at present. Will you let me know how it stands between you and all parties concerned?2

Your father,
JOHN BROWN.
___________

1 Anne Brown, now Mrs. Adams.

2 The allusion at the close of this letter is to some affairs of the heart in which the young man then had an interest; for love was no more a stranger to these Ohio shepherds than to those of Sicily.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 59-60

No comments: