Tuesday, March 11, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., June 22, 1844

CLEVELAND, June 22, 1844.

DEAR SON JOHN, — I received your letter some days ago, but was so busy in preparing for my journey to Lowell (on which I now am) that I could find no time to write before. We had been waiting for news from you for some time, not knowing where you were, and were all glad of your letter. I will give a little account of things since you left. We moved to Akron about the 10th of April; get along very pleasantly with our neighbors Perkins; find them very affable and kind. Have had a good deal of loss amongst our sheep from grub in the head. Have raised 560 lambs, and have 2,700 pounds of wool; have been offered 56 cents per pound for one ton of it. Jason spends most of his time in Richfield. Have not yet done finishing leather, but shall probably get through in a few weeks after my return. The general aspect of our worldly affairs is favorable. Hope we do not entirely forget God. I am extremely ignorant at present of miscellaneous subjects. Have not been at Richfield for some time, and have but a moment to write, on board a boat. I enclose three dollars, and would more, but may be short of expense money. May write you at Lowell or Boston;1 may return by you.

Your affectionate father,
JOHN BROWN.
__________

1 Mr. Amos A. Lawrence, of Boston, writes me (Feb. 25, 1885), "Brown was the agent of our Firm to buy wool in Ohio, as early as 1843."

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 61

No comments: