Monday, April 28, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to John C. Breckinridge, February 21, 1865

(Confidential.)

HEADQUARTERS, PETERSBURG, February 21, 1865.
HON. J. C. BRECKINRIDGE,
Sec. of War, Richmond.

SIR: I have had the honor to receive your letter of yesterday's date. I have repeated the orders to the commanding officers to remove and destroy everything in enemy's route. In the event of the necessity of abandoning our position on the James River, I shall endeavor to unite the corps of the army about Burkeville (junction of Southside and Danville Railroad), so as to retain communication with the North and South as long as practicable, and also with the West.

I should think Lynchburg or some point west the most advantageous place to which to remove stores from Richmond. This, however, is a most difficult point at this time to decide, and the place may have to be changed by circumstances.

It was my intention in my former letter to apply for Gen. J. E. Johnston, that I might assign him to duty should circumstances permit. I have had no official report of the condition of General Beauregard's health; it is stated from many sources to be bad; if he should break entirely down, it might be fatal. In that event I should have no one with whom to supply his place. I therefore respectfully request that General Johnston may be ordered to report to me, and that I may be informed where he is.

With great respect, your obedient servant,
R. E. LEE,
General.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 355-6

No comments: