Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Rear-Admiral David D. Porter, May 22, 1863 – 8:30 p.m.

NEAR VICKSBURG, MISS., May 22, 1863 8.30 p.m.
Rear-Admiral DAVID D. PORTER,
Commanding Mississippi Squadron:

Your note, dated 2 p.m., is just received. I had sent you a dispatch stating that the assault at 10 a.m. was not successful, although not an entire failure. Our troops succeeded in gaining positions close up to the enemy's batteries, which we yet hold, and, in one or two instances, getting into them. I now find the position of the enemy so strong that I shall be compelled to regularly besiege the city. I would request, therefore, that you give me all the assistance you can with the mortars and gunboats. McArthur has been ordered to join McClernand, but I wish to countermand the order, if it has not already been executed. I have no means of communicating with General McArthur, except by way of Young's Point. Will you do me the favor to forward to him the accompanying?

 U.S. GRANT.

P. S. – If the gunboats could come up and silence the upper water battery and clear the southern slope of the second range of hills from the Yazoo Bottom, it would enable Sherman to carry that position, and virtually give us the city. The mortar-boats, I think, could be brought with security to within 1 mile or less of the bluff, on the Mississippi shore, from which they could rain shells into the city. Let me beg that every gunboat and every mortar be brought to bear upon the city.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 3 (Serial No. 38), p. 337-8

No comments: