Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, November 15, 1862

Camp Near Memphis, Nov. 15, 1862.

I have abundance of good food, but only take one meal a day, and that a very light one. This morning one of my lady friends in the neighborhood sent me in a most luxurious breakfast, a roasted rabbit with jelly sauces, and all that sort of thing, flanked by four quails with three or four different preparations of bread and other little matters, and after the whole thing had been elaborately spread upon a nice white cloth, I had it all bundled up and sent off as a present to Mrs. Sherman.

I have a great many compliments of this kind and beautiful flowers sent to me, and all sorts of pleasant messages. Last night I passed the evening in company with General Sherman at Bishop Otie's, the Episcopal bishop of this diocese. He has lovely daughters. One of them entertained me with charming songs and harp accompaniment — a most beautiful girl and very accomplished.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 249

No comments: