Sunday, May 18, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Helen Smith, September 15, 1862, 2 a.m.


CAMP ON HERNANDO ROAD, NEAR MEMPHIS,
2 O'CLOCK A.M., Sept. 15, 1862.
MY DEAR SISTER:

At eleven o'clock last night as I was about to “turn in” an orderly came dashing up through the rain with despatches advising me that the Brigadier-General commanding had reliable information that our pickets were to be attacked this night or morning, rather, by the enemy's cavalry, and ordering me to double my picket guard. Being some distance from our main army and my outside pickets being three miles distant from me, and having a six-gun battery under my command attached to my regiment, after giving my orders and disposing of my forces, I feel indisposed for sleep and know not how I can better put in the residue of the night than by writing to my dear sister Helen, whose affectionate letter of the 8th inst. with inclosure is now before me, being this day received.

I send you a picture of General Sherman and staff, numbered thus —

1. Lieutenant Taylor, 5th Ohio Cavalry, Aide-de-Camp.
2. Major J. H. Hammond, Assistant Adjutant-General.
3. Captain Dayton, 6th Ohio Infantry, Aide-de-Camp.
4. Major Taylor, of Taylor's Battery, Chief of Artillery.
5. Capt. J. Condict Smith, Division Quartermaster.
6. General Sherman.
7. Col. Thos. Kilby Smith, of 54th Ohio Inf. Zouaves.
8. Captain Shirk, U.S.N., Commander of gunboat Lexington, which threw the shells at Shiloh.
9. Major Hartshorne, Division Surgeon.
10. Col. W. H. H. Taylor, 5th Ohio Cavalry.
11. Capt. James McCoy, 54th Ohio Inf. Zouaves, Aidede-Camp.
12. Major Sanger, 55th Illinois Inf., Aide-de-Camp.

These, with two exceptions, were together and did service at the battle of Shiloh; the names of some of them will adorn the pages of history. The Quartermaster looms up among them like Saul among the prophets, a head and shoulder above the rest. He stands six feet four and a half inches high in his stocking feet, and I have a private in the ranks in my regiment who is three inches taller than he.

Tell mother she need not be alarmed about Sherman's sanity; his mind is sound, his intellect vigorous. He is a man for the times. His enemies are seeking to destroy him. The whole article she sends is replete with falsehood. No city in the Union has a better police, is more accurately governed than Memphis. It is sufficient for me to say to mother that the whole article is false from beginning to end. Tell dear mother I will write her shortly; that meanwhile, to be of good cheer. The game of war is fluctuating — their turn now, ours perhaps to-morrow.

And all night long I have waited and watched; the gray dawn is now streaking the eastern sky. No warning shot from the picket guard, all is still, all quiet, as though smiling peace still blessed the land. I have written and paced the sentry's beat at intervals; now sounds the reveille\ The stirring fife and prompt sharp sound of the drum break upon the morning air. The camp is all aroused. My labor for the night is done. Its result a copy of verses and not very interesting letter. It will bring proof, however, that I have thought of you, that for the whole night at least you have been in my thoughts till dawn.

I don't think that Cincinnati is in immediate danger from Smith; he will probably retire. His mission was to watch Morgan at the Cumberland Gap. It was so easy a thing to do, that he made his advance farther than was intended. Bragg is the general to watch. He and Buell will, I think, it is likely, have a big battle. If he is victorious, good-by, Cincinnati. Anyhow I must think she is a doomed city.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 242-4

No comments: