Thursday, May 22, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Dr. Orlando Fairfax, December 28, 1862

CAMP, FREDERICKSBURG, December 28, 1862.
MY DEAR DOCTOR:

I have grieved most deeply at the death of your noble son.1 I have watched his conduct from the commencement of the war, and have pointed with pride to the patriotism, self-denial, and manliness of character he has exhibited. I had hoped an opportunity would occur for the promotion he deserved; not that it would have elevated him, but have shown that his devotion to duty was appreciated by his country. Such an opportunity would undoubtedly have occurred; but he has been translated to a better world, for which his purity and piety eminently fitted him. You do not need to be told how great is his gain. It is the living for whom I sorrow. I beg that you will offer to Mrs. Fairfax and your daughters my heartfelt sympathy, for I know the depth of their grief. That God may give you and them strength to bear this great affliction, is the earnest prayer of,

Your early friend,
R. E. LEE.
DR. ORLANDO FAIRFAX, Richmond.
__________

1 Randolph Fairfax.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 473

No comments: