Thursday, May 8, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to John C. Breckinridge, April 2, 1865

HEADQUARTERS, VIA PETERSBURG, April 2, 1865.
GEN. J. C. BRECKINRIDGE.

I see no prospect of doing more than holding our position here till night. I am not certain that I can do that; if I can, I shall withdraw tonight north of the Appomattox, and if possible it will be better to withdraw the whole line tonight from James River; the brigades on Hatcher's Run are cut off from us. Enemy have broken through our lines and interposed between us and them, and there is no bridge over which they can cross the Appomattox this side of Goode or Bevel, which are not very far from the Danville Railroad. Our only chance, then, of concentrating our forces is to do so near Danville Railroad, which I shall endeavor to do at once. I advise that all preparations be made for leaving Richmond tonight. I will advise you later according to circumstances.

R. E. LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 364

No comments: