Saturday, May 31, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., December 22, 1852

Vergennes, Vermont, Dec. 22, 1852.

Dear Son John, —I have written Mr. Perkins to send you money for expenses, so that you may set out for Boston by the 21st January at furthest. I am too much used up about money to remit, or I should do so. I have written Mr. Perkins to come on himself by way of Vernon; but if he does not get on, or send you money in time, do not on any account delay setting out, if you have to borrow the money for a few days. The money will be sent, and if it does not reach you in time, Wealthy1 can use it to pay, should you not have it on hand. Mr. Beebe has got home from Europe, which we think very fortunate. Mr. Harrington is here with me from Troy; he has got his case against Warren affirmed during the last week. I hope this may prove a sickness to Warren about standing out against us. I am so much in haste, and have my mind so full, that I can think of no more now, except that I stop at the Exchange Coffee House in Boston. May God in mercy bless you all.

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.
_______________

1 The wife of John Brown, Jr.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 84-5

No comments: