Sunday, May 4, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., May 15, 1851

STEUBENVILLE, OHIO, May 15, 1851.

DEAR SON JOHN, — I wrote you some days since, enclosing ten dollars, and requesting you to acknowledge it, and also to hold yourself in readiness to go to Pittsburgh when called upon; since which I have not heard from you. I am now on my way to Akron; and as our causes at Pittsburgh have been continued until next fall, we shall not need you there until then. We have now no prospect of any trial until fall, except with Henry Warren; and we wish you to so arrange your business that you can leave for Troy upon a short notice. I also want you to keep me advised at Akron of your whereabouts, so that I may call upon you should I have time. I did expect to go to Hartford when I left home, but find I must alter my course. I was in Essex on Tuesday last. Left Ruth and husband well, and very comfortably situated. We seem to get along as pleasantly as I expected, so far; can't say how long it will be so; hope we may continue. I want you to write often and let us know how you get along. Had sad work among our Saxony ewes and lambs by dogs, Saturday night last: probably forty killed and wounded.

Your affectionate father,
JOHN BROWN.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 81

No comments: