Sunday, May 4, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, October 14, 1861

October 14th.

I am going to write a letter to the very sweetest little woman I know, the only sweetheart I have; can you guess who she is? I tell you, I would like to see my sunshine, even this brightest of days. My finger has been healed over for some time, and I am blest by an ever-kind Providence with the use of it, though it is still partially stiff. I hope, however, in the course of time, that I shall be again blest with its perfect use. ... If I get into winter-quarters, will little ex-Anna Morrison come and keep house for me, and stay with me till the opening of the campaign of 1862? Now, remember, I don't want to change housekeepers. I want the same one all the time. I am very thankful to that God who withholds no good thing from me (though I am so utterly unworthy and ungrateful) for making me a major-general in the Provisional Army of the Confederate States. The commission dates from the 7th of October

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 195

No comments: