Monday, May 5, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, October 21, 1861

CENTREVILLE, Oct. 21st.

For several days your esposo has been here, and has an extra nice room, the parlor of a Mr. Grigsby, who has promised that he will also let me have another room for my chamber, and then I can use the parlor for my office. He has very kindly offered me the use of his library. The walls of his parlor are hung with pictures and paintings, including large portraits on opposite sides, I suppose of the esposo and esposa. The carpet has been removed, but an abundance of seats have been left, two settees among them. Mr. Grigsby is apparently a man of much character, and I am very much pleased with him. His wife is delicate, and two of his sons have typhoid fever, but are past the critical stage of the disease. He has not yet consented to my staff moving into the house, probably for fear of disturbing the sick. Colonel Jones has resigned and gone home, and Mr. Marshall went with him. They are both nice gentlemen.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 195-6

No comments: