Thursday, May 15, 2014

Rutherford B. Hayes to Sardis Birchard, May 12, 1861


CINCINNATI, May 12, 1861.

DEAR UNCLE: —  . . . The St. Louis and other news revives the war talk. We are likely, I think, to have a great deal of it before the thing is ended. Bryan writes me a long friendly secession letter, one-sided and partial, but earnest and honest Perhaps he would say the same of my reply to it. I wish I could have a good talk with you about these days. I may be carried off by the war fever, and would like to hear you on it. Of course, I mean to take part, if there seems a real necessity for it, but I am tempted to do so, notwithstanding my unmilitary education and habits, on general enthusiasm and glittering generalities. But for some pretty decided obstacles, I should have done so before now.

All well at home. Lucy hates to leave the city in these stirring times. We hear that some of the Fremont men are at the camp near Milford. I shall see them one of these days, if this is so.

Sincerely,
R. B. HAYES.
S. BIRCHARD.

 SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 17

No comments: