Thursday, June 12, 2014

Alexander H. Stephens to James Thomas, July 16, 1844

Macon, Ga., July 16,1844

Dear Thomas, Your favour of the 8th inst. came to hand a few days ago just as I was getting in the cars on my departure from home, and I have not had time since then or rather an opportunity of sufficient [word illegible] to send you an earlier answer. I will if it is in my power be with you on the 27th inst. but I am not certain that I can. The day before I shall be at Crawfordville where I hope also to meet you, and on the 24th I shall be at Washington I expect. The travel and fatigue I fear will be almost too much for me. I am here to-day, and to-morrow shall if nothing prevents go over to Clinton where there is to be a meeting the next day. Meriwether1 and E. A. Nisbet are to be there. Jenkins and myself were at Eatonton last Saturday; and in all parts I have been in, as well as those from which I have heard, the prospect is good. In some counties it is reported that we will sustain loss etc., but upon a close examination I find that in nearly all instances the rumor is false. The Locos seem determined to do what they can by gasconnading, and the only effect of it is I think to arouse the Whigs and make them energetic, and that is all we want. Chappell2 from what I learn here will be badly beaten in this district. I am informed by the most intelligent and observing men in such matters that he will do us no injury in this and Monroe county and no other county except Upson and Meriwether, and very little in those. My news from Cherokee is good. Miller and Lumpkin3 have had a meeting and discussion at Decatur, in which they say Miller got decidedly the advantage. Lumpkin complained of ill health and got out in that way. The Whigs are up and doing. I saw here last night men from Cobb, Pike, Monroe, Twiggs and Pulaski and all are zealous. Colquitt and Haralson4 and young Alford and Samford and Chappell were all here last week and literally stormed the castle, but to no effect. And I assure you the prospect as far as I have seen is quite as good for our carrying the State as it was at the same time in 1840, if not better — and there is no comparison hardly between the indications now and this time last year, for our people are now fully up and aroused, and this is all we have ever wanted in order to succeed at an election.
_______________

1 James A. Meriwether, Eugeniua A. Nisbet, and Charles J. Jenkins were Georgia Whig leaders.

2 In the congressional election of 1844, Absalom H. Chappell was narrowly defeated in the third district by his Whig opponent, Washington Poe.

3 John H. Lumpkin, Democrat, defeated H. V. M. Miller in the fifth district by a heavy majority.

4 Hugh A. Haralson was elected in the fourth district. Colquitt, Alford and Samford were Democratic speakers in the campaign, but were not candidates.

SOURCE: Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, Editor, The Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1911, Volume 2: The Correspondence of Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, and Howell Cobb, p. 59-60

No comments: