Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Walter Smith, March 10, 1863

Headquarters Second Brigade, Second Division,
Fifteenth Army Corps, On Board Str. "swallow,"
Near Young's Point, La., March 10, 1863.
My Dear Mother:

As you will notice from my dates from shipboard, I have changed somewhat the locus in quo since my last; fairly driven out by the high waters. The Mississippi proved rather too much for the engineer, and declined the narrow limits of the canal in paying tribute as called for, therefore we had to “take water” for fear of being drowned. I suppose the crevasses may be repaired, in which case we shall remain here till the experiment of the canal is fairly tested. When I have more time I will write you all about it.

I am glad you saw Sergeant White who, as lately from me, could make himself interesting. I send all such, of high and low degree, to you, because they can answer many a question and relate many an incident that would escape my notice or memory.

I enclosed you a copy of petition from my entire brigade for my promotion. I will send you copies of the endorsements of my commanding generals, which were very handsome. It has not yet been submitted to General Grant, who is, however, my warm personal friend and who will doubtless say as much as the others. Then so far as the army is concerned, to use General Sherman's own language, “my record is perfect.” I would not exchange it for that of the best puffed man in America. If promotion does not come, my family and friends at least will know that I deserve it; and I believe all proper effort has been made to secure it.


March 13, 1863.

I have taken up my quarters for the present with General Sherman; I found the boat unhealthy and disagreeable. I shall write again in a day or two.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 279-81

No comments: