Saturday, June 14, 2014

John Brown to Henry and Ruth Brown Thompson, April 6, 1853

Akron, April 6, 1853.

I have thought a good deal how to arrange as well as possible in regard to a home, should I live to go back to North Elba. I am a good deal at a loss how to divide the land so as to accommodate both families in the best way; and I wish to call your attention to that matter, as you may perhaps be able to think of some way that will exactly suit all hands. I would be glad if Henry will send me his views freely in regard to the following questions, namely: Are you fond of the business or care of a sawmill? Are there any springs on that part of the lot lying east of the river, so situated as to accommodate a family on that side; or do you think there is a prospect of getting a good well where the strip is of some width, and the face such as would be convenient to build on? Would you divide the land by the river, or by a line running east and west? Will it be any damage to you if you defer building your house until we can hit on some plan of dividing the land, or at least for another year? If I was sure of going back next spring I should want to get some logs peeled for a house, as I expect to be quite satisfied with a log-house for the rest of my days. Perhaps by looking over the land a little with a view to these things, you can devise a plan that will suit well. I do not mean to be hard to please; but such is the situation of the lot, and so limited are my means, that I am quite at a loss. Will it be convenient to have the ground that is gone over on the east side of the river got into grass this season? . . . I can think of but little to write that will be worth reading. Wishing you all present and future good, I remain,

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 109

No comments: