Monday, June 9, 2014

John Brown to His Children, October 6, 1851

Troy, N. Y., Oct. 6, 1851.

Dear Children, — As I am still detained at this place, I improve a leisure moment to write you, as the only means of communicating with a part of my family in whose present and future interests I have an inexpressible concern. Words and actions are but feeble means of conveying an idea of what I always feel whenever my absent children come into mind; so I will not enlarge on that head. . . .

I wish you to say to Mr. Epps1 that if Mr. Hall does not soon take care of the boards that are fallen down about the house he built, I wish he and Mr. Dickson would go and take them away, as I paid for them, and am the rightful owner of them. I wish to have them confine themselves entirely to those of the roof and gable-ends. I mean to let Hall have them if he will occupy the building, or have any one do it on his account; but I do not mean to have him let them lie year after year and rot, and do no one any good. I wish this to be attended to before the snow covers them up again.
_______________

1 One of his colored neighbors at North Elba.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 108

No comments: