Wednesday, June 4, 2014

John Brown to John Brown Jr., December 15, 1852

North Elba, N. Y., Dec. 15, 1852.

Dear Son John, — I got here last night, and found all very comfortable and well, except Henry, who is troubled with a lame back, something like rheumatism I presume. The weather has been very mild so far, and things appear to be progressing among our old neighbors; so that I feel as much as ever disposed to regard this as my home, and I can think of no objection to your coming here to live when you can sell out well. A middling good saw-mill is now running a few rods down the river1 from the large pine log we used to cross on, when we went to help Henry take care of his oats. The more I reflect on all the consequences likely to follow, the more I am disposed to encourage you to come here; and I take into the account as well as I can the present and future welfare of yourself and family, and prospects of usefulness. Our trial at Boston is to come on by agreement on the 6th January. I shall write Mr. Perkins to send you money for expenses, so that you can get on to Boston by the 3d January. We shall want to look the papers over, and talk the business over beforehand. Ruth intends occupying the balance of the sheet. My best wishes for you all.

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.
_______________

1 A branch of the Au Sable.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 105-6

No comments: