Friday, June 13, 2014

John Brown to Mary Ann Day Brown, December 27, 1852

Utica, N. Y., Dec. 27, 1852.

. . . I seem to be pretty much over the effects of the ague, except as to my sight, which is some impaired, and which will not probably ever become much better. I made a short visit to North Elba, and left them all well and very comfortable, one week ago to-day.  . . . The colored families appear to be doing well, and to feel encouraged.  They all send much love to you. They have constant preaching on the Sabbath; and intelligence, morality, and religion appear to be all on the advance. Our old neighbors appear to wish us back. I can give no particular instructions to the boys, except to take the best care of everything, — not forgetting their own present and eternal good. If any young calves come that are nice ones, I want them to be well looked after, and if any very mean ones, I would have them killed at once. I am much pleased to get such a good account from the boys, and from Anne and Sarah.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 108-9

No comments: