Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, March 10, 1862

Winchester, Virginia, March 10, 1862

My darling, you made a timely retreat from here, for on Friday the Yankees came within five miles of this place. Ashby skirmished for some time with them, and after they fell back he followed them until they halted near Bunker Hill, which is twelve miles from here, where they are at present. The troops are in excellent spirits. . . . How God does bless us wherever we are!1   I am very thankful for the measure of health with which He blesses me. I do not remember having been in such good health for years. . . . My heart is just overflowing with love for my little darling wife.
_______________

1 This was in reference to the kindness we had received in Winchester.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 242-3

No comments: