Friday, June 13, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, April 16, 1862

Near New Market.

This morning is warm and spring-like, and this country is one of the most beautiful that I ever beheld. . . . On last Wednesday the enemy advanced on me at one o'clock A. M., and I fell back to this place, where I arrived on Friday. My route was through New Market and Harrisonburg. I am about midway between Harrisonburg and Stannardsville. The enemy did not advance as far as Harrisonburg on the Valley turnpike. The advance of the two armies is within a few miles of each other. ... I do want so much to see my darling, but fear such a privilege will not be enjoyed for some time to come.

Swift Run Gap.

. . . Dr. Dabney is here, and I am very thankful to God for it. He comes up to my highest expectations as a staff-officer.

SOURCE: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 253-4

No comments: