Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Colonel Thomas Kilby Smith to his Daughter, May 30, 1863

Walnut Hills, Near Vicksburg, Miss., May 30, 1863.
My Darling:

I have carried your last letter, 26th April, in my breast pocket close to my heart for many a day with intent to answer; it is quite yellow with the damp of rain and night dews, and what had well-nigh been bloody sweat, for it has been with me on the long marches and on the hard-fought fields. But thanks to your prayers, I am spared this glorious moonlight night to answer it.

I do not think, my dear daughter, that you read Schiller yet. Do you know you quote him almost verbatim to me? You say you think “I must be tired of war and drilling soldiers.” You might have gone on and written “the camp's stir and crowd and ceaseless larum, the neighing war-horse, the air-shattering trumpet, the unvaried, still returning, hour of duty, word of command and exercise of arms,” and then a little further —

"O! day thrice lovely! when he becomes
A fellow man among his fellow men,
The colors are unfurled, the cavalcade
Marshals, and now the buzz is hushed, and hark!
Now the soft peace march beats, home, brothers, home;
The caps and helmets are all garlanded
With green boughs, the last plundering of the fields;
The City gates fly open of themselves,
They need no longer the petard to tear them;
The ramparts are all filled with men and women;
With peaceful men and women that send onwards
Kisses and welcomings upon the air,
Which they make breezy with affectionate gestures;
From all the towers rings out the merry peal,
The joyous vespers of a bloody day.
O! happy man, O! fortunate! for whom
The well-known door, the faithful arms are open,
The faithful, tender arms with mute embracing."

Yes, daughter, most gladly would I give the “blood-stained laurel for the first violet of the leafless spring,” plucked in those quiet fields where you are wandering. You give a beautiful description of your new home. Well you may say “Alabama.” I must tell you the circumstance from which that State derived its name. According to tradition, a tribe of Indians, driven southward by the advance of civilization, after many weeks of toilsome march, one day at sunset reached a lovely country, a sanctuary, unviolated by the remorseless white man, on the banks of a broad, calmly flowing river, where their canoes might ply, as they hoped, unmolested for ages, in the skirts of a forest where the deer were sporting like tame kids. The chief struck the pole of his tent into the earth, exclaiming, “Alabama! Alabama!” (here we rest). Maybe, if I live, I shall come where you are, some day, to rest a little while, to lie still in the cool halls and have you read to me, or sing to me, bathe my furrowed brow or smooth away my sunburned hair. A little while to rest would be sweet to me, for I'm tired, very, very weary, but there are many hundreds of long miles between us and we must not be too sanguine in our hopes.

Where do you suppose I am now? Sitting in a tent, in the woods, among the tallest trees you ever saw, not very far from the fortifications of Vicksburg. All the time by night and day the cannon are pouring death and destruction upon the doomed city, yet its garrison gallantly holds out. On two successive days we tried to take it by assault, failing, because from the nature of the ground and the skill of their engineers, their works are well-nigh impregnable; and more than two thousand brave soldiers have paid the penalty of the attempt with their lives. Now we invest the city, and if reinforcements do not come to them in sufficient numbers to overpower us, we shall starve them out. Already are they reduced to one fourth rations; their soldiers have a quarter of a pound of corn meal and no meat for a day's allowance. On some parts of the fortifications water is scarce, the weather is warm, and the sun scorching. They have been obliged to drive cattle and horses outside, because they have nothing to feed them on. There are a great many women and children in the city, and these have been compelled to retire to caves and holes in the ground to protect themselves from the ceaseless falling of shot and shell. As a special favor, three hundred of these women were permitted to cross the river to De Soto, a little way from where my old camp at Young's Point was, and there they remain under guard from the soldiers, without shelter of any kind and with very little, if any, food. Many of these are highly educated and refined ladies; others of like character who were fortunate enough to be outside the city walls are mendicants to the government they affect to despise so much, and now pensioners upon its bounty for food for themselves and children. But this is only part of the horrors of war. God grant, that you, my dear daughter, may never be called upon to view such scenes as I have witnessed. He has cursed the land and let loose the demon who demands blood, tears, and death as his sacrifice. Dearest, you must always thank God that your lines are cast in pleasant places; you must remember how many and bountiful are the blessings showered upon you.

I must tell you a little anecdote of my own experience, and in order to appreciate it, you must know that the route we marched over to reach this point had already been traversed by three armies, that everything eatable, and almost all to wear, had been pillaged from the houses that lined the road, for it is the habit of the soldier to take what he wants wherever he finds it; and in hot pursuit, or quick retreat, or on the eve of impending battle, there is no one to gainsay him in his desires. Well, so it happened that I halted my brigade at Willow Springs to bivouac for the night, and at the earnest request of a lady, the wife of a physician, made their house my headquarters, for the presence of the commanding officer is guarantee of protection. I had been seated upon the porch but a short time, when a sweet little girl of perhaps seven summers brought me a rose, and as I patted her head and fondled her, for she was very pretty and interesting, she lisped out, ‘If I had only a cracker and some water I would go to bed, but I'm very hungry and I can't sleep.” “Why, my dear, haven't you had your supper?” “No, sir. I haven't had anything to eat all day, but if I just had a cracker and a little water, I could lie down.” My supply wagon hadn't come up, but there was about a biscuit of hardtack in pieces in my haversack, and this I gave the little child, who sat at my feet and ate it all with such famishing hunger. Oh! it would have made your heart bleed to see these lambs, so visited for the sins of their fathers, these suffering, innocent little ones, no food, no shelter, no shoes, scarce raiment enough to cover their nakedness, though born to affluence. How long, Oh, Lord! how long?

As we came along the road, particularly after leaving Judge Perkins's, and skirted along Lake St. Joseph, one of the most beautiful sheets of water in the world, we passed magnificent plantations, principalities; and upon each of them a palace, gorgeously furnished with mirrors and velvet carpets, sumptuous furniture and upholstery of Eastern magnificence, with all the adjuncts of garden and greenhouse, dovecote, statuary, mausoleum, and Italian marbles in richest sculpture, marking the burial place of their dead. The roadside for miles and miles was strewn with all this in mutilation, carpets and curtains, grand pianos broken in pieces, pearl and ivory keys and strings all scattered, choice paintings cut from the frames, carried a little way, then torn and scattered to the winds, fences down, gardens trampled, the year's harvest gone utterly, frightened negroes peering from behind their quarters, far down the woodland glen, the relics of the flock, bleating piteously, soon the prey of the straggling soldier, the palaces burned or reft of all the beautiful that wealth and art and science could produce, the tomb desecrated and put to vile uses, and exquisite gardens the purlieus of the camp. Yet while we sigh for and repine at all this desolation and ruin, we can but reflect that he, for whose grandeur and magnificence all this wealth has been lavished, who has subsidized the world to minister to his taste and convenience, is a fugitive, perhaps in a foreign land, certainly with a paid substitute, who for gold is willing to raise his unholy hand to tear asunder the fair fabric that guaranteed him all this opulence and luxury; and the lesson, so severe, perhaps, is needed. Yet we cannot forget it is written that offences must come, but woe be to them by whom they come.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 299-303

No comments: