Tuesday, July 8, 2014

John Brown to Franklin Benjamin Sanborn, August 27, 1857

[Tabor, Iowa, August 27, 1857]

Mr Dear Friend, — Your most welcome letter of the 14th inst., from Au Sable Forks, is received. I cannot express the gratitude I feel to all the kind friends who contributed towards paying for the place at North Elba, after I had bought it, as I am thereby relieved from a very great embarrassment both with Mr. Smith and the young Thompsons, and also comforted with the feeling that my noble-hearted wife and daughters will not be driven either to beg or become a burden to my poor boys, who have nothing but their hands to begin with. I am under special obligation to you for going to look after them and cheer them in their homely condition. May God reward you all a thousandfold! No language I have can express the satisfaction it affords me to feel that I have friends who will take the trouble to look after them and know the real condition of my family, while I am “far away,” perhaps never to return. I am still waiting here for company, additional teams, and means of paying expenses, or to know that I can make a diversion in favor of our friends, in case they are involved again in trouble. Colonel Forbes has come on and has a small school at Tabor. I wrote you some days ago, giving a few particulars in regard to our movements; and I intend writing my friend Stearns, as soon as I have anything to tell him that is worth a stamp. Please say to him, that, provided I do not get into such a speculation as shall swallow up all the property I have been furnished with, I intend to keep it all safe, so that he may be remunerated in the end; but that I am wholly in the dark about it as yet, and that I cannot natter him much now. Will direct where to write me when I know how to do so.

Very respectfully your friend,
N. H.1

1 N. H. stands for "Nelson Hawkins," one of the names by which Brown was known to his friends when in an enemy's country.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 113-4

No comments: