Monday, July 14, 2014

John Brown to his Family, April 27, 1840

Ripley, Va., April 27, 1840.

. . . I like the country as well as I expected, and its inhabitants rather better; and I have seen the spot where, if it be the will of Providence, I hope one day to live with my family. . . . Were the inhabitants as resolute and industrious as the Northern people, and did they understand how to manage as well, they would become rich; but they are not generally so. They seem to have no idea of improvement in their cattle, sheep, or hogs, nor to know the use of enclosed pasture-fields for their stock, but spend a large portion of their time in hunting for their cattle, sheep, and horses; and the same habit continues from father to son.  . . . By comparing them with the people of other parts of the country, I can see new and abundant proof that knowledge is power. I think we might be very useful to them on many accounts, were we so disposed. May God in mercy keep us all, and enable us to get wisdom; and with all our getting or losing, to get understanding!

Affectionately yours,
John Brown

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 134

No comments: