Sunday, July 6, 2014

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Mary Anna Morrison Jackson, May 26, 1862

My precious darling, an ever-kind Providence blest us with success at Front Royal on Friday, between Strasburg and Winchester on Saturday, and here with a successful engagement on yesterday. I do not remember having ever seen such rejoicing as was manifested by the people of Winchester as our army yesterday passed through the town in pursuit of the enemy. The people seemed nearly frantic with joy; indeed, it would be almost impossible to describe their manifestations of rejoicing and gratitude. Our entrance into Winchester was one of the most stirring scenes of my life. The town is much improved in loyalty to our cause. Your friends greatly desired to see you with me. Last night I called to see Mr. and Mrs. Graham, who were very kind. . . . Time forbids a longer letter, but it does not forbid my loving my esposita.

SOURCES: Mary Anna Jackson, Life and Letters of General Thomas J. Jackson (Stonewall Jackson), p. 265

No comments: