Saturday, July 19, 2014

Major Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes, July 2, 1861

Camp Chase, July 2, 1861.

Dearest: — The comet, or the storm, or something makes it cold as blazes this morning, but pleasant. Speaking of shirts, did I leave my shirts at home? I have but two or three here now. Have they been lost here, or how? You need not make me any if they are gone. I intend to wear flannel or mixed goods of some sort, but if there are a few tolerably good ones or collars, you may let Dr. Joe bring them up when he comes.

By the by, you know Dr. Joe has been appointed to our regiment, Dr. Clendenin having declined the Twenty-sixth. I wrote Dr. Joe a scolding letter in reply to his note abusing the governor. I did so because I felt confident that he was to be appointed in some way, and I didn't want him to kick the fat in the fire by getting in a sensation about it before the matter was finally determined. Matthews and all are very glad. I am more interested in it than in anything else connected with the regiment.

I believe I told you it would be in good point if you could fix up one or two of my thick vests. I shall take away from here nothing but my gray travelling suit and thick vests. The military coats will conceal the vests, so they are as good as any other. Dr. Joe better get a good ready before he comes up. It may be difficult for him to get away. As for clothing and fixings, they can all be sent to him; but his business arrangements better be made, if possible, before he leaves. If he keeps well, as I think he will, he will enjoy this life very much. His rank and pay will be the same as mine. He is allowed two or three horses, and should have at least one. There is no stabling here at present, so he need not now bring his horse, if he would prefer not to keep him at the hotel or in Columbus.

Love to Grandma and all. Kisses for the dear boys. They will mourn the loss of their Uncle Joe. I should not be much loss to them now; when they get older I will try to help in their education. Birch, if possible, should be a soldier; Webb will do for a sailor; Ruddy will do for either or 'most anything else. I am sorry you are to be left with so much responsibility; but, with your mother's advice, do what you both agree is best and it will perfectly satisfy me.

Affectionately, yours ever,
Rutherford.
Mrs. Hayes.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 35-6

No comments: