Thursday, August 21, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, October 24, 1864

Quincy, Sunday, Oct. 24, 1864.
My Dear Mother:

After strange, and what would be considered in any other age, romantic vicissitudes, I find myself once more in the land of my birth, with the same surroundings, changed so little as to be a marvel, that made my sum of childhood life. I have had for years an earnest longing to look again upon the everlasting hills, the eternal rocks, and changing seas of this New England coast, and being so near could not resist the temptation to gratify my desires. I am glad I came, and feel much benefited in health and spirits. I have met most of our kith and kinsfolk who, like their trees, are rooted in the soil.

To-day, thus far, I rest; if you were with me to join in the calm enjoyment, the serenity of happiness, the sweet content of this glorious, autumnly sunny Sunday, that is mine, here so close to my birthplace, hallowed to you by so many recollections, I should be supremely blest, “to sit at good men's feasts, to hear the holy bell that knolls to church,” far from war and war's alarms, the bracing breeze rustling the leaves all tinged with the hectic hues of autumn, just ready to fall, but lingering, clinging to the swinging bough, giving sweet music as to the wind they sing their parting lay; to listen to the pattering of children's feet upon the bridge where my first footsteps ventured, the babbling of the same old brook, here confined between trim borders, there in its freedom merrily dancing in the sunlight; to wander through the same old rooms, sit in the same old chairs, eat from the same old spoons, hear the familiar household words from the same lips that well-nigh half a century ago gave greeting. Ah, well-a-day, you and I are growing old, dear mother, and as we drift by rapidly upon the stream of time we clutch convulsively at these old landmarks and for a while would fain stay our progress onward to the boundless gulf that is beyond. We cheat ourselves in thought, that in good sooth we do linger, while even all else is passing away, that while inanimate objects, that from associations seem self-identified, remain apparently unchanged, we, by mere contact, rejuvenate our stay, or receive the virtues of the waters of Lethe. Yet, when the real comes back, it is good to know that in imagination we have triumphed over time, that in mere enjoyment of imagination, we have caught some glimpse of the glorious immortality yet to come.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 363-4

No comments: