Sunday, August 10, 2014

Congressman James A. Garfield to Corydon E. Fuller, February 9, 1864

House Of Representatives,
Washington, D. C, Feb. 9, 1864.

My Dear Corydon: —Yours of the 31st came duly to hand. I should be glad to be as prompt and punctual as in other days in answering your letters, but the crush of work in which I constantly find myself involved will not give me a solid moment that I can call my own. I grow weary, very weary, at the prospect of a life spent as I have been spending mine for the past five or six years. I have lived at home less than one year in the last three and a half, and it seems now as if my future gave no promise of home and rest this side the grave. I can not tell you how much I long to be once more free, and feel that a few days are my own to give to my own heart and to friendship; but it does not now look as though that time would ever come. The revolutionary times in which we are living will probably keep the whole of your life and mine in a whirl.

Your suggestions in reference to the excise law seem to be good and just. I will try to get them before the committee on that subject. There are no copies of Boutwell's book now left for distribution, but I may be able to find some of the old members who have a spare copy. If so, I will send it to you.

Give my love to Mary, and do excuse hasty and unworthy letters. I have sent you a copy of my speech on Confiscation.

Ever your brother,
J. A. Garfield.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 354

No comments: