Thursday, August 14, 2014

Congressman James A. Garfield to Corydon E. Fuller, November 24, 1864

Hiram, November 25, 1864.

My Dear Corydon: — Yours of the 13th came duly to hand. I am glad to inform you that Crete is now convalescent. She has had a terrible run of typhoid fever, which for some days seriously threatened her life, and which left her exceedingly weak and reduced; but she is now on her feet again and rapidly gaining strength.

I rejoice with you in the great victory, but greatly regret that your county is not redeemed from the dominion of the enemy. I think, however, that Fulton county can confidently say that if she has not won her first victory she has suffered her last defeat. After I left you I finished my appointments in Colfax's district, and then went to Ohio. My work grew heavier as the campaign drew on to its close, and I made eighteen speeches in the last two weeks preceding the Presidential election, and traveled nearly four thousand miles. I was thoroughly exhausted when the end came, but I am now quite well again, and hope to enter upon my winter's work in good health.

I start for Washington next week. I do not think Crete will be able to go before the holidays, when I intend to take her with me.

In regard to your own matters, I need not assure you how ready and willing I am to do all in my power to-aid you. I will see Colfax as soon as I get to Washington and consult with him on the best way to secure a place for you. If a place can be got by us two, it shall be.

Write me soon.
Ever truly yours,
James.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 368-9

No comments: