Friday, August 8, 2014

Francis Lieber to G. S. Hillard, December 27, 1860

New York, December 27, 1860.

. . . I am very unhappy. My son Oscar is so imbued with all that I hold worst in South Carolina, that hardly anything is left between us but the thread of paternal and filial affection. I enter thus upon the last stage of old age! Such things must have happened in the Reformation; but that does not mitigate its bitterness. Unfortunately, too, my whole life has been spent, and my very profession obliges me to pass my days, in meditating on all that is going to ruin in corruption and by violence, — as it ever has been, and as it is.  . . . How happy Agassiz, is, who can shut himself up with his toads and turtles, and investigate that portion of nature which knows of no question of right or wrong, freedom or baseness, national unity or separation, treason or loyalty, purity or stealing, manliness or ignominy. I wish his work were not so monstrously dear. . .

SOURCE: Thomas Sergeant Perry, Editor, The Life and Letters of Francis Lieber, p. 316

No comments: