Tuesday, August 5, 2014

James A. Garfield to Corydon E. Fuller, May 10, 1861

Columbus, May 10, 1861.

My Dear Corydon: — Your favor was duly received, but I have been away, and so overwhelmed with military matters that I have not been able till now to answer. I am glad to hear that you have succeeded in getting a paper. It was very mortifying to me to have a failure here in Ohio. Now that the piping times of war are upon us, I hope and believe you will be able to make a good thing out of it.

I have resolved that I can not remain quiet while the war is around us. I am going into it in some capacity.

I am sorry that I can not now accommodate you in the matter of money at this time. I have not drawn my pay for several weeks, and on the receipt of your letter I went to the Treasury, and found there was not a dollar there for members of the Legislature, and will not be for several weeks. I have not now money enough to pay my board and washing. I am very sorry indeed. I want you to write to me at once, and tell me if you have been able to secure the amount named. If not, I will hope to be able to get hold of some as soon as possible.

In the war now upon us, we can not tell the outcome either to individuals or to the nation. If I live through it, we shall some time meet again.

Love to Mary when she sees you, and believe me, ever and faithfully,

Your brother,
James.

SOURCE: Corydon Eustathius Fuller, Reminiscences of James A. Garfield: With Notes Preliminary and Collateral, p. 316

No comments: