Monday, August 11, 2014

John Brown to his Children, January 25, 1854

Akron, Ohio, Jan. 25, 1854.

Dear Children, — I remember I engaged to write you so soon as I had anything to tell worth the paper. I do not suppose the balance will be great now. So far as I know, the friends here are about in usual health, and are passing through the winter prosperously. My wife is not in as good health as when you were here. Have not heard from Hudson for some days. The loss of sheep has been merely a nominal one with us. We have skinned two full-blood Devon heifers, — from the effects of poison, as we suspect; for several of our young cattle were taken sick about the same time. The others appear to be nearly well. This world is not yet freed from real malice or envy. It appears to be well settled now that we go back to North Elba in the spring. I have had a good-natured talk with Mr. Perkins about going away, and both families are now preparing to carry out that plan. I do not yet know what his intentions are about our compensation for the last year.1 Will write you when I do, as I want you to hold yourself (John, I mean) in readiness to come out at once, should he decide to give me a share of the stock, etc. Should that be the case, I intend to let you have what will give you a little start in the way of red cattle. I learn, by your letters to others of the family, that you have pretty much decided to call your boy John, and that in order to gratify the feelings of his great-grandfather and grandfather. I will only now say that I hope to be able sometime to convince you that I appreciate the sacrifices you may make to accommodate our feelings. I noticed your remark about the family settling near each other; to this I would say, I would like to have my posterity near enough to each other to be friendly, but would never wish them to be brought so in contact as to be near neighbors or to intermarry. I may possibly write you again very soon.

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.


1 By referring to a previous letter of Feb. 21, 1853, it will be seen that Mr. Perkins's mind had changed within the year. It has been intimated that political opinions had something to do with this change.

 SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 155-6

No comments: