Friday, August 1, 2014

Last Will and Testament of John Brown, December 2, 1859

I, John Brown, a prisoner, now in the prison of Charlestown, Jefferson County, Virginia, do hereby make and ordain this as my last will and testament.

I will and direct that all my property, being personal property, which is scattered about in the States of Virginia and Maryland, should be carefully gathered up by my executor, hereinafter appointed, and disposed of to the best advantage, and the proceeds thereof paid over to my beloved wife, Mary A. Brown.

Many of these articles are not of a warlike character, and I trust as to such, and all other property that I may be entitled to, that my rights and the rights of my family may be respected; and lastly I hereby appoint Sheriff James W. Campbell executor of this my last true will, hereby revoking all others.

Witness my hand and seal this 2d day of December, 1859.

John Brown
[L. S.]

Signed, sealed and declared to be the true last will of John Brown, in our presence, who attest the same at his request, and in his presence and in the presence of each other.

(Sgd.)
John Hess,
Andrew Hunter.

Codicil. — I wish my friends, James W. Campbell, Sheriff, and John Avis, Jailer, as a return for their kindness, to have a Sharp rifle, of those belonging to me, or if no rifle can be had, then each a pistol.

Witness my hand and seal.
John Brown
[l. S.]
A correct copy.
G. A. P.

SOURCE: Southern History Association, Publications of the Southern History Association, Volume 1, No. 3, July 1897, p. 194-5

No comments: