Friday, September 26, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, June 30, 1865

Headquarters Post And District Of Mobile,
Mobile, June 30, 1865.
My Dear Wife

I send packages of papers from day to day, from which you may have some account of my goings on.

I am living at a tremendous rate, and between my business and my pleasures, or what passes for pleasure, and is part of my business, have but little leisure to write; though I do far more than my share, considering that there are so many at home. My house is full to overflowing with guests. I am now entertaining three brigadier-generals and their several staffs. A night or two ago I gave entertainment to the whole of Mobile, and you may be sure I gave them a good time. There is some account of the occasion in the papers of the day, and I enclose a slip.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 407

No comments: